新书推介:《语义网技术体系》
作者:瞿裕忠,胡伟,程龚
   XML论坛     W3CHINA.ORG讨论区     计算机科学论坛     SOAChina论坛     Blog     开放翻译计划     新浪微博  

• 首页
  • 登录
  • 注册
  • 软件下载
  • 资料下载
  • 核心成员
  • 帮助
  •   Add to Google

>> 最新的技术动态
    [返回] 中文XML论坛 - 专业的XML技术讨论区休息区『 最新动态 & 业界新闻 』 → A daughter follows her father into a mainframe career 查看新帖用户列表

发表一个新主题  发表一个新投票  回复主题  (订阅本版) 您是本帖的第 7633 个阅读者浏览上一篇主题  刷新本主题   树形显示贴子 浏览下一篇主题
     * 贴子主题: A daughter follows her father into a mainframe career 举报  打印  推荐  IE收藏夹 
       本主题类别:     
     卷积内核 帅哥哟,离线,有人找我吗?

威望:8
      头衔:总统
      等级:博士二年级(版主)
      文章:3942
      积分:27590
      门派:XML.ORG.CN
      注册:2004/7/21

姓名:(无权查看)
    城市:(无权查看)
    院校:(无权查看)
    给卷积内核发送一个短消息 把卷积内核加入好友 查看卷积内核的个人资料 搜索卷积内核在『 最新动态 & 业界新闻 』的所有贴子 访问卷积内核的主页 引用回复这个贴子 回复这个贴子 查看卷积内核的博客楼主
    发贴心情 A daughter follows her father into a mainframe career

Kristine Harper was about 12-years-old when her father took her to his office to take part of a "take your daughter to work day." Tom Harper said his daughter was less than enthusiastic about his profession that day.

"She said Dad, I love you, but if this was the last job on the planet, I wouldn't want it," said Harper.

But as a 17-year-old high school senior, Kristine turned to her father for help in completing an independent study program. Tom Harper's task: to teach Kristine about computer programming.

He started teaching how to program in the Assembler programming language. "Once she got her first program to run, she was hooked," said Tom Harper.

Today, Kristine is 27 and works in the research and development office of her father's employer, Neon Enterprise Software Inc. in Sugar Land, Texas.

The job gives Kristine a large role in the mainframe world -- a world that is in need more youthful expertise. In fact, she is an organizer of the IBM Share user group's zNextGen project, a group of some 700 under-30 engineers looking to improve mainframe technology skills and find places to use them. The "z" in the title represents IBM's Systems z mainframe computer.

The zNextGen project, which marked its fifth anniversary at the IBM Share user conference here this week, aims to help its members through career development, networking and mentoring programs. The group began with 30 members.

A major problem facing many business that still rely on mainframe computers is an aging workforce of experts in the technology. Many mainframe professionals were born in the Baby Boom era. Many are now nearing retirement age.

Replacing them will be difficult because academic programs in recent years have catered mostly to the interest of most post secondary students in PC-centric technologies.

Kristine Harper said she hears mixed reviews about the overall tech job outlook due to the stagnant economy, but "on the other hand I've heard that companies are searching and desperately trying to find new mainframers" to fill jobs "left open because of retirement."
    The IBM zNextGen project grew out of social event held in a Boston bar, Dillions, located near a Share conference held five years ago in the city. That event attracted 30 mainframe professionals under 30 years of age.

While many of her age group peers headed straight into PC-related IT work, Kristine said she "grew up in an environment where I lived without any of the stigmas, so I had a different view of the mainframe. I was exposed to how powerful and how exciting it is from day one."

Kristine's mother, Carol Harper, is a retired software developer and longtime Share member, leading Kristine to joke that she attended her first Share conference in utero.

Citing the fact the world's financial systems run on the mainframe, Tom Harper said he sees a bright future for her daughter. "If you unplugged all the mainframes tonight, nothing would work, not credit cards, not banks," he said.

Tom Harper helped to launch BMC Software and to develop many of its products before moving to Neon where he works on product architecture, and on developing and designing software.

He said he didn't do anything special to create a family interest in enterprise IT, and says that as with any parent's career, children "just naturally get curious."

A son Warren, age 19 and an intern at Neon, is also attending the Share conference this week. "I had the opportunity to learn from my Dad -- and it's not very often you get to learn from one of the best in the business," said Warren.

收藏   分享  
    顶(0)

----------------------------------------------
    事业是国家的,荣誉是单位的,成绩是领导的,工资是老婆的,财产是孩子的,错误是自己的。

点击查看用户来源及管理<br>发贴IP:*.*.*.* 2010/8/5 8:30:00

hjx_221 帅哥哟,离线,有人找我吗?

威望:7
      等级:博士一年级
      文章:4607
      积分:24021
      门派:XML.ORG.CN
      注册:2004/8/30

姓名:(无权查看)
    城市:(无权查看)
    院校:(无权查看)
    给hjx_221发送一个短消息 把hjx_221加入好友 查看hjx_221的个人资料 搜索hjx_221在『 最新动态 & 业界新闻 』的所有贴子 引用回复这个贴子 回复这个贴子 查看hjx_221的博客2
    发贴心情 
    I had the opportunity to learn from my Dad -- and it's not very often you get to learn from one of the best in the business

----------------------------------------------
    初从文,三年不中;后习武,校场发一矢,中鼓吏,逐之出;遂学医,有所成。自撰一良方,服之,卒~ 
    http://hjx221.blogger.org.cn/

点击查看用户来源及管理<br>发贴IP:*.*.*.* 2010/8/5 13:32:00

GoogleAdSense

等级:大一新生
      文章:1
      积分:50
      门派:无门无派
      院校:未填写
      注册:2007-01-01
    给Google AdSense发送一个短消息 把Google AdSense加入好友 查看Google AdSense的个人资料 搜索Google AdSense在『 最新动态 & 业界新闻 』的所有贴子 访问Google AdSense的主页 引用回复这个贴子 回复这个贴子 查看Google AdSense的博客广告
    2024/4/27 11:59:48

本主题贴数2,分页: [1]

管理选项修改tag | 锁定 | 解锁 | 提升 | 删除 | 移动 | 固顶 | 总固顶 | 奖励 | 惩罚 | 发布公告
    W3C Contributing Supporter! W 3 C h i n a ( since 2003 ) 旗 下 站 点
    苏ICP备05006046号《全国人大常委会关于维护互联网安全的决定》《计算机信息网络国际联网安全保护管理办法》
    62.500ms